Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#579 - 01/31/08 04:56 PM Tournaments suggestion in details [Re: mars]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tournamets (or GPs) will be the best thing in this game if properly implemented i believe.

First of all tourney should be specific i.e. for each weight class and for different skill levels. It isnt as hard to implement as it may sound.

I suggest to differ player by their popularity, p4p is flawed. Considering that there are popularity caps in lower orgs it makes things easy, there should be tourneys for 2 star leagues (Socat etc), 2.75 and for GLORY-EFC.

Tournaments period should be taking place every week and last 1-2 days with about 12-24 hours of registration period. Single elimination format with “bye”s if needed (random advancement for guys who wont get the opponent in the first round). There should be special tournament page where all of them should be listed since the beginning of registration period, all should be clickable and show list of signed fighters, timer that show how much time is left until the end of registration period and a page with sheet when the registration is over. “Low level” tournaments should take place next day, elite level tournaments the day after next day, so it is like Friday – reg day, Saturday – low level, Sunday – elite level for example. Between rounds (I mean tournament rounds until finals) there should be some time gap like 3 hours, where you can pretty much only switch styles, dress, spar and wait (this way you can register the fighter for tournament and then dont bother to even check him until the end of a tournament if you dont care or lazy), time gaps can be tiny so whole tournament would end like in half hour if you want to keep it simplistic. For tournaments id want not to have the instant result page with pbp, pbp should fill for 10 minutes sencence by sencence (even if result is already predetermined, then it should be hidden from every statistic page until that one-sentence at a time pbp is complete). Fighter shouldnt be able to fight in his league during the tournament he participate in, but between registration and tournament he can fight, he can leave the org for whatever needs, upgrade his popularity it shouldnt affect his tournament participation since he already registered. Any unregistered or unable to register his fighter to tourney outsider, any camp should be able to watch results and sheet of all the tournaments as well of course.

To enter the tournament fighter should have a contract with organization with wanted level, fighters who have their popularity surpassing maximum possible in the given level of orgs should not be allowed to enter the tournament (to prevent unfairly strong guys coming from bigger leagues). Fighter should also have to make weight for a tournament and should have only one try (if he fails to make weight, he should miss the tournaments that week), since open GP make no sense in this game, they should be set by weight classes

So far the best format I can imagine is 5 tourneys for each 2, 2.75 (both are “low level” first day) and elite orgs (second day). 15 overall.

Top 3 fighers of each tournament should get the awards (finalists and winner of 3-place deciding game). As prizes there should be money rewards and cups permanently set on fighter’s page (small cup icons of golden, silver or bronze) with quick info under cup icon or in it, also each figher should get personal page with all his tournament trophys and information on them. Since fighter’s page is not unlimited in size, trophys should stack there or there should be only recent ones, they shouldn’t stack in that personal “tourney awards page” though. Prize money difference between 3 level of tornaments should be huge, like (winners should get for example 5-10k(2) – 30k(2.75) – 60k(elite)).

Fighters' record should or should not be unaffected by tournaments (since there can be many fights in one single tournament and it differs since you cant pick an opponent) and each fighter should get his own tournament win-lose record near the main record or inside that personal “tourney awards page”, preferably with different color.

Thats it for now, I will try to remember more details from my experience but this format i think will be awesome for this game, ive had my experience participating in these kind of tournaments and it was awesome. Any flaws here?

#580 - 01/31/08 06:43 PM Re: Tournaments suggestion in details [Re: mars]
therealfreakinshalabi

Here's my thoughts overall and pertaining to what youve said....

Tournament rounds should take place in leu of fights for that month. It doesnt make much sense that guys are fighting every month anyway, why should they get to fight more than others that arent in tournaments since tournament fighters will already get bonuses.

Tournaments should have a set number of slots and each round should take place every 12 hours. The reason I would like to see this instead of the 3hour slot like you suggested is:(1) I have a job (2) I have a kid (3) I have hobbies (4) I have school. Id like to participate in these tourneys as well and every three hours I cannot give. Going into a tournament should be a gamble.
With these parameters I see more people being able to have a fair chance, more entertainment in the tourney and more overall fear and expectation for the fights.

Now if we wanted to go the complete opposite and have a set time and rapid fire the tourney, I cant hate that idea either. That way, youre either on for your tourney or youre not. This version could utilize the PBP you were speaking of.

Finally, depending on the size of the tournament, say 64+ I feel that anyone in the top 8 should be rewarded. Making it to the Elite 8 you should receive a money reward of some sort. Lets look at it logically.

There are 64 participants. You win your first bout. Youre in the top 32. You win again, youre in the sweet 16. You win again, youre now in the elite 8. The quarter finals!! But then you lose. Now you and 3 other losers battle for 5th. But you lose again. Now you and the guy that lost twice in a row also fight..... he beats you. So you end up in 8th. You went 3-3. The only three who beat you are pretty good fighters in this tourney. I think 8th should get a little money or popularity. So I think Top 8 deserve rewards. Obviously in decending value from 1st to 8th.

Like I mentioned in my question thread about Tourneies: 1st - Trophy&Belt on profile, big money, 3/4 popularity. 2nd - small trophy, big money, 1/2 popularity 3rd - small trophy, some money, 1/2 popularity. 4th-7th - small money, 1/4 popularity 8th- smallest money, 1/4 popularity

#581 - 01/31/08 07:22 PM Re: Tournaments suggestion in details [Re: mars]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im surprised someone other than admin has read this wall of text smile

Yes i missed about quantity of participants, but its up to admins, because they better know how many active players are in certain set of divisions. 128 is a good number, everyone who wants to play, they should be able to enter, but game isnt too big yet and maybe even 64 is okay.

3 hours gaps rule is fun but this day of the tournament you should be able to check whats going on in the tournament, especially if time will be easy to remember, but if you are out of your home, then fighter will fight without you, not many are so well-rounded, so they can change styles for their opponent. But 3 hours was just an example, it can be 15 minutes or 6 hours or whatever, but i remember it was very exciting with 3 hours gap (i played team-based manager before, it was csmanager, very exciting game).

I know for sure that this system works and is major win for everyone, i have no doubts that it is perfect for this game. As for money and popularity for top 8, i think only top 3 should get awards (gold, silver, bronze cup icons are cool), they should feel special and get special recognition and all the other just lose period, it wont affect their record by having more or less fights, there is a tournament record for this reason.

#582 - 01/31/08 10:09 PM Re: Tournaments suggestion in details [Re: mars]
therealfreakinshalabi

Quote:
Im surprised someone other than admin has read this wall of text smile

Yes i missed about quantity of participants, but its up to admins, because they better know how many active players are in certain set of divisions. 128 is a good number, everyone who wants to play, they should be able to enter, but game isnt too big yet and maybe even 64 is okay.

3 hours gaps rule is fun but this day of the tournament you should be able to check whats going on in the tournament, especially if time will be easy to remember, but if you are out of your home, then fighter will fight without you, not many are so well-rounded, so they can change styles for their opponent. But 3 hours was just an example, it can be 15 minutes or 6 hours or whatever, but i remember it was very exciting with 3 hours gap (i played team-based manager before, it was csmanager, very exciting game).

I know for sure that this system works and is major win for everyone, i have no doubts that it is perfect for this game. As for money and popularity for top 8, i think only top 3 should get awards (gold, silver, bronze cup icons are cool), they should feel special and get special recognition and all the other just lose period, it wont affect their record by having more or less fights, there is a tournament record for this reason.

I got ya on most of it. But I still stick to top 8. My reasoning is that if youve just spend that much effort to make it that high, you should get something out of it. I dont think #8 should be majorly compensated. But I think something is in order for winning three fights in a row. Obviously the 1-3 get the best stuff and the most recognition. But when Ive been in grappling tournament or watched state wrestling, the top 8 are usually compensated in some way for their effort. I think its fair to reward someone who's 8th out of 64 competitors. I guess its just a difference of opinion.

#583 - 02/01/08 01:59 AM Re: Tournaments suggestion in details [Re: mars]
consortium11

Ditch doing it by popularity: it's far more flawed than p4p.

In LOTC HW we has a gang of four who were competeting for the title. A couple of days ago we decided to leave LOTC and make our seperate ways in the world. Let's note that at this point, we all had 2 1/4* popularity at most due to the way LOTC's nerfs popularity.

Now, one guy is the A-1 Champ, 1 guy is the Pro-XC champ, one guy was the so-cat champ but gave it up to go to GLORY and 1 guy stayed in LOTC and has beaten everyone since.

We've all proven that we can beat fighters from the higher popularity orgs (with relative ease in some cases).

Now, if we'd all stayed in LOTC and the tournament had rolled round, we'd have been stuck fighting each other, and not facing those people from the higher Orgs, and there's no reason for that.

One of the great things a tournament will do is make the likes of the top 10 fighters face others who, for whatever reason, haven't been able to get their popularity up. That's surely the point of the tournament, rather than it merely being So-cat vs Strikeforce, A-1 vs whoever and GLORY vs (the 6 people in) EFC?

#584 - 02/01/08 07:12 AM Re: Tournaments suggestion in details [Re: mars]
Jayweiser

Quote:
Ditch doing it by popularity: it's far more flawed than p4p.

In LOTC HW we has a gang of four who were competeting for the title. A couple of days ago we decided to leave LOTC and make our seperate ways in the world. Let's note that at this point, we all had 2 1/4* popularity at most due to the way LOTC's nerfs popularity.

Now, one guy is the A-1 Champ, 1 guy is the Pro-XC champ, one guy was the so-cat champ but gave it up to go to GLORY and 1 guy stayed in LOTC and has beaten everyone since.

We've all proven that we can beat fighters from the higher popularity orgs (with relative ease in some cases).

Now, if we'd all stayed in LOTC and the tournament had rolled round, we'd have been stuck fighting each other, and not facing those people from the higher Orgs, and there's no reason for that.

One of the great things a tournament will do is make the likes of the top 10 fighters face others who, for whatever reason, haven't been able to get their popularity up. That's surely the point of the tournament, rather than it merely being So-cat vs Strikeforce, A-1 vs whoever and GLORY vs (the 6 people in) EFC?

If you win 3 straight fights in LOTC....it's time to move up.

If you win 3 straight fights in A-1....it's time to move up.

If you win 3 straight fights in Glory....it's time to move up.

The top ten fighters in that weight class should be in EFC fighting the best fighters. MKick said it best, it's about risking mediocrity for greatness.

#585 - 02/11/08 12:23 PM Re: Tournaments suggestion in details [Re: mars]
Forgeron

Loc: Canada
I kind of want to revive this thread, instead of making a new one....and hey, I found it using the 'imaginary' search tool.

I really think we should dive into this idea soon....it could give people something to do if the champions in their orgs are wimps and dodge people with half decent stats. I think the best way of doing this, is set one up for each weight class, and have a "sign-up' thread or something, and this could be done on a first come first served basis. Depending on how big you want the tournament, it could be a 24 man tournaments, 48 man tournament, hell even a 64 man tournament if you think there would be enough intrest, which I can easily say there will be.

Have MKick(Or whoever) 'randomly' generate the matches, and just single elimination, until I donno say top six. From then, money prizes for the camps should come into order for every spot. Eliminated 6th, $1000, 5th, $2500, 4th $5000, 3rd, $10,000, 2nd $20,000, and the first place should get I' say $50,000, equal to a 2nd Equipment Upgrade.

With winning a tournament, like a belt, maybe a little indicator to show that you won the tournament would be nice to 'reflect' back on. This is a great way for a 'noob' with great stats, regardless of record, to shine into the spotlight. What could become an 'unofficial' rule, could be something like, You get a shot at the champion in your org or something. I dont know, I just really want to see some tournaments happen.

There should also be a limit to one camp on how many fighters you can have. I'd settle with a max of two or three per camp, so the more established camps just dont run wild on everyone else.

Who's Online
1 Registered (Gyptian), 1072 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod